Thursday, January 17, 2013

On My Way

Well world, I'm on my way to France. I leave today. It's a weird deal, I don't feel like I can properly imagine the adventure ahead of me in the next six months. I know it's gonna be good though. On my way out I've stopped in New York to stay with the fam here. I briefly unpacked the bike to go for a ride around New York and I must say, it was underwhelming. The Strava pages for Brooklyn segments like Prospect Park are crammed with fast times, so clearly their are strong riders who live around here. I mean, it's New York. Everyone lives here! But, it seems like it would be hard to go on a long ride amongst the traffic and stop lights. Anyone have any experience with big city riding? The great thing about Portland is that even from the heart of the city you are a stones throw away from the boonies. Strasbourg is an even smaller city with plenty of open roads around it, although it's pretty flat, and I'm looking forward to rolling around there.

Speaking of which, travelling with a bike case is a little ridiculous. I feel like I'm dragging around the monolith from 2001 a Space Odyssey.

Not terrible, I'm glad I was able to get my hands on a solid bike case, but yeah a little bit of a ridiculous piece of luggage. Now I just gotta haul the damn thing back to JFK, fly to Frankfurt, take a bus to Strasbourg, and get to my host family's home. An Odyssey if there ever was one. 
Anyway, I'm off. See you on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment