Thursday, May 23, 2013

Bring the Rain

Watching this years Giro d'Italia from Europe has been exciting for a few reasons. First off, it's awesome to be able to see the finish at five in the afternoon as opposed to seven in the morning. Second, it's been a sadistic pleasure to see the pros battling the same shitty weather I've been facing my whole semester here. It's just been never ending winter here. It's the end of May and the weather remains cold and gray all the time. There is a 70 year old man who lives in my building and said this is the worst winter he has ever seen. He's lived here his whole life.

As I mentioned in my last post though, it builds a profound respect for what the hardmen who make up the pro peleton endure. during a day at the office. My condolences go out to Sir. Wiggins, who dropped out of the soggy Giro with a chest cold. If things had gone differently, I think he would have given Nibali a run for his money. But I'm impressed by the Italian's agressive and smart racing that has kept him in the pink for most of these past two weeks. Even more impressive is old man Evans, who still has a solid chance at becoming the oldest overall winner of the Giro.

Just an example of the conditions Europe has been enduring this year. Photo pulled from cyclingnews.com


In other news, I'm headed back to the states in about two weeks now, but couldn't wait to change out some parts on my bike. I recently installed much needed new bottom bracket, chain and set of tires. I had my Dad bring over one of Wheels Manufacturing's new BB30 with angular bearings that are supposed to have a longer life then the standard SRAM models. They seem a bit more solid, at the very least having an aluminum body as opposed to plastic. But it's really the bearings that always crap out, so I'll see how these last over the next few months. Chain was the standard Shimano ultegra 10-spd, which has been my go-to for the past few years. I highly recommend the KMC missing link with that as well, so you can take it off to clean it properly without messing around with Shimano's silly magic pin system. Lastly, Continental 4 Seasons tires. They are the best. I had over 6000km on my old ones, and only ever got 1 flat. It was a staple that had pieced the side. I roll the 25mm ones for extra traction in the endless wetness.

New tire side by side with a very well worn one. Can you guess which is which?

Anyway, probably more information then anyone cared to read about, but those are some of the products I use and would recommend. Now go forth and ride bikes!

Kyle McCall
@UpwardProgress

No comments:

Post a Comment